Today we talk to Dr. Laurence Weinzimmer, author of The Wisdom of Failure, and internationally recognized thought leader in organizational strategy and leadership. He is a sought after business advisor to numerous Fortune 100 companies and the Caterpillar Inc. Professor of Management in the Foster College of Business Administration at Bradley University.
Interview with Dr. Laurence Weinzimmer:
Or, if you want, you can download the interview here.
- What are the specific benefits of learning from failure?
- For The Wisdom of Failure you conducted almost 1,000 interviews with managers and leaders. What about those interviews most surprised you?
- How can a leader lose strategic direction so easily? What can leaders do to avoid making these types of mistakes?
- What is the biggest mistake that leaders make? Why is it so prevalent?
- It seems as though many of the mistakes you profile in the book could be strengths in certain scenarios (for example assertiveness versus bullying or confidence versus arrogance). How to these behaviors turn into failures?
- And much more!
Talk Back! Are there any recent failures (by yourself or others) that you’ve been learning from? How?
What’s the secret sauce in your company that makes it successful? Would love to hear your thoughts!