Driving to work yesterday morning, I got caught behind a semi truck. It was a particularly well-known brewing company. Still wiping some sleep from my eyes, I noticed a statement in the bottom left corner of the back of the truck……that caught me off-guard. It said:
Now, I understand that they were probably referring to “responsibly enjoying” their product. But, I had a thought: what about in our lives? Our businesses? Our marriages?
Does “responsibility matter”?
Maybe you’ve heard that before…..but really think about it for a second:
- Response-Able – Able to respond. My dad and I were having lunch yesterday, and we were commenting about the great business success stories of our time. How they weren’t people who expected everything to be given to them. They took initiative, decided they weren’t victims, and “got it done.”
- Responsibility is Opportunity – Some people think “burden” when they think of responsibility, because they think “blame” is associated with taking responsibility. But, that’s so limited and incomplete. It’s a gift. If you’re faithful with a little bit, you’ll be faithful with much. That’s how we grow!
- Blaming is Draining – When we focus our energy on blaming, that’s energy we could’ve spent on just getting things done. Blaming is the problem, be a part of the solution….take responsibility!
Some great resources that may help bring some more clarity to this whole subject:
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective People – Fantastic book that starts at ground zero and teaches personal responsibility
- QBQ! – The “Question Behind the Question” – Shows the second layer of conversation at play when we don’t assume responsibility
- Dave Ramsey’s “EntreLeadership” book and Podcast – Great nuggets on taking responsibility & growing your influence